Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Things we take for granted.

It's the little things in life, like being able to breath in and out, that I don't really think much about.  When I have a patient that needs oxygen support I simply turn a dial on the wall and oxygen races through the hose to the nasal cannula or mask and they receive the support they need, or I flip a switch and the oxygen concentrator comes to life filling the need.  We don't have to race down the hall, running from room to room to find what we need.  It's right there with an endless supply to support them for hours, days or months.  I take it for granted.  While reading one of my favorite blogs Be "The Hands and Feet"  I came to the realization just how much I take that for granted, while my grandmother was taking her last breaths there was two large oxygen tanks in her living room to support her until she no longer needed it.  There was no question of running out, it was just there.  To think that a child who needed oxygen couldn't get it and after going to several hospitals in the area they had no luck.  To think that a lady had to fix the machine just to give a bit of hope only to have that hope removed in one moment, a life ending moment for a little baby boy in Uganda.  My heart breaks at this fact, that those babies didn't choose to be born in a country where they have to struggle for food, water, medicine and a warm bed... who didn't ask to be sick, who didn't ask to loose its parents to disease and illness, who was born and now is suffering at no fault of its own.  It's scary, it's sad and it is part of the reason I wanted to be a nurse.  To change the world.  Maybe that's a large task for one person but maybe if I stop taking things for granted and strive to help others it will have the ripple effect or at least just save a life. 

Missions is where my heart is, always has and always will.

Much Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment